Thursday, April 26, 2007

Electric Heart

Here it is ~ the mosaic cross that I mentioned in my last entry.

As I mentioned, it's quite a departure from my previous crosses. I hesitate to say that though because it's also very true to my style and the direction of my artwork. For instance, it incorporates beads and intricately cut transparent glass like several of my previous mosaic crosses.

But it is also more dramatic than most of my other artwork. I have also never made a larger mosaic cross that is predominantly black. I'd love to hear what you think. Please feel free to leave a comment.

A little bit about the design process. The inspiration for the design is the beautiful fused glass, asymmetrical heart featured in the center of the cross. The heart was created by artist Jean West. I painted the base of the cross black to showcase the heart. The black background really sets off the beautiful iridescent features throughout the heart. Not that you can tell any of this from the picture . . . I worked so hard to try to get a good picture and this was the best I could do. You'll just have to take my word that the actual piece is much more "electrifying" (get it?!) than the picture above. Here's a detail shot that gives you a little better feel for the real thing:


Ribbons of iridescent glass are interwoven throughout the heart and I carried these "glass ribbons" onto the cross base with beads. I also placed gold leaf in random places on the background. I then pieced the background in transparent glass so the black and gold leaf would be seen. I grouted in black.

A technical note. The adhesive I use (Weldbond) dries clear but is white when you first apply it. It can take days (I've heard even weeks or months?) to turn clear and the Texas humidity doesn't help the process! The moral is that, if you have a deadline to meet, make sure you finish piecing the background in time for the adhesive to turn clear. Or at least, that's what a little birdie told me. ;)

Thanks for reading.

In Him ~

Mary
www.marymakingdesigns.com

No comments: